Illinois Central Caboose #199454
Minnesota Transfer #X-12 Bay Window Caboose
This 24-foot caboose was originally built with a cupola for the Northern Pacific as their #1730 in 1921 by Pacific Car & Foundry. The 24-foot caboose design standard first appeared on NP in 1907 as a block of one hundred cars numbered erratically in the 1000-1300 series. By 1917, there were 328 24-foot cabooses on the NP roster. The last group of 24-foot cabooses were numbered in the 1700 series beginning in 1921. #1730 was contained within this lot.
In 1966, the caboose was sold to Minnesota Transfer Railway Company. MT rebuilt the caboose by removing the cupola and adding bay windows as well as removing the interior partitions. It was renumbered X12 at that time. In 1971, X12 was retired and sold to a private owner